Monday 27 August 2012

...and it all started with a Big Bang...


I recently finished this cross-stitch, in honour of one of my favourite TV shows: The Big Bang Theory. I love this show for many reasons but most of all: it is filling, perfectly, the hole that FRIENDS left in my life & I'm a huge geek! So they comic book/star wars/star trek references are by no means lost on me - I love it!

So many months ago I purchased the pattern for the aforementioned cross stitch from weelittlestitches on Etsy - a fabulous & very popular store, only to have the pattern laze around on my computer & do nothing. It was about a week ago that it popped right back into my head & that was it, I had the sewing box out & I was off. It took me around two hours to complete each character, so it was the perfect after work pick me up from what had been a stressful few weeks. By the end of the week I had a virus :( but I also had a finished design - you win some, you lose some.


Sadly my virus has kept me hauled up in bed doing not much more than sleeping & watching The Big Bang Theory box set, but I did get a chance to try out this tutorial from A Beautiful Mess before being bed-ridden. A quick & simple way to enhance a plain mug; from which to drink your tea. So I thought I'd give it a go. I stuck to my Big Bang theme & decorated my mugs with some classic Sheldon quotes, in bright colours.



All it takes is a plain coloured mug or cup (I picked up mine at the local supermarket for less than 50p!) & a Sharpie of your choice.

Draw your desgin/ write your quote onto the mug. Mistakes are easily removed with a damp cloth - be sure to dry the mug off before you re-attempt your design.

Then bake in the oven for 30 minutes & allow to cool.

Voila! A personalised mug.

Sadly once decorated these mugs can only be hand washed so no lazy-boneses here please!

*Note: I found that my designs had better staying power by baking them at 180C for fifteen minutes, then after cooling I went over the design again & baked for a further 30 minutes at 180C. This may vary depending on your oven or the material of your mugs.

I think they look really cute & would make a great gift, in fact some of mine are to be gifts...

I hope you all had a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend!

Jxx

15 comments:

  1. Love the cross stitch..hope you're feeling better!
    Auntie A xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a little dizzy now & then but headaches are less :) xx

      Delete
  2. Super cross stitch! I do love a geeky craft project :-)

    Lots of virtual get well wishes!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Hope the cushions are going well! :)

      Delete
  3. The cross stitch looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. I am a big fan of your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh I love Big Bang Theory, that cross stitch is soooo cute! And the 'Penny...knock knock knock' mug....amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, I thought I simply can't do a set of Sheldon quote mugs without that one!

      Delete
  5. I've bought this one to do! I have 2 other projects to finish first but I'm so excited for this. What size frame did you put it in? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia you are going to have so much fun! :) It was a frame I've had for a while I think it's 8" x 10" hope this helps!

      Delete
  6. Aww, I love this show and the cross stitch that you made of all the characters is too adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like it Nnenna. I loved your post that you did on the Etsy craft party - it looks like it was great fun! :)

      Delete
  7. Hey Jen

    Love the cross stitch it looks great! The weelittlestitches patterns are such fun. In fact there are so many great patterns out there that I need more time in the day to work on the ones I keep seeing and wanting to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally know what you mean Sara, there is just never enough hours in the day! That's why I enjoyed this one I could easily complete one character each evening, I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  8. Wow, I can't believe you can do personalised mugs with Sharpies, I'm gonna have to try that out! Also lovely Autumn post, I think Fall is much more appropriate too! ;)
    Muchos love,
    Fran
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Type here to share your lovely comments! x