Thursday 10 May 2012

Before I Go To Sleep

As some of you may know I was reading this as part of the Cold Water Book Club and I thought I'd do a little review.
"Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep? Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight. And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story. Welcome to Christine's life."
From this blurb you can probably tell that this is a story of an amnesiac. The story is told from the point of view of Christine Lucas, a forty-seven year old woman who wakes up each day not knowing who or where she is. In the first part of the book Christine is waking up on a typical day in her life and having her husband explain to her who she is and how she came to be this way, when he leaves for work things begin to unfold. She meets with a doctor whom she has been seeing, in secret, to help her with her condition, and he gives her a journal that she has been keeping to help her remember. This is where the second part of the book begins where the reader then follows Christine's journal. This is pretty much all I can say without giving the game away, needless to say it's a page turner.



I was surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did - I'm more of a fantasy or chick-lit kinda gal, but I really did. As a psychological thriller though it did kind of mess with my over active imagination a little and meant that I couldn't read it right before bed (yes I am a BIG kid!) however I still enjoyed it. There are little clues all the way through the book that lead up to the ending and if I was braver I'd read it again to catch them all. The only thing I can say against this book is that I was a little disappointed with was the ending. I'm a fan of the all-round, complete happy ending so if your like me you might be disappointed too but please don't let that stop you from reading the book - it's great! And does end happier than you'd expect.

Have any of you read Before I Go To Sleep?

Jxx

1 comment:

  1. Have 'pinned' this(have you discovered Pinterest?..another way to lose an hour or two online!..if you want an invitation email me)...I love a good psychological thriller!
    Auntie A xx

    ReplyDelete

Type here to share your lovely comments! x